Attention in the pits! Car registration will open April 1, 2020 at 8am. Please note the following information:
- Registration will be done via an online registration form and submitted to a specific Airfield Drags email account. Continue to follow our Facebook page for more information as it nears April 1st. You will be required to submit a photo of your car at the time of registration so get your pictures ready. No early registrations will be accepted.
- All cars must meet criteria listed below (see Basic Race Vehicle Entry Criteria).
- Airfield Drags staff will review all registrations and choose 50 cars to participate.
- Selected registrations will receive a confirmation email with an assigned registration number and payment request (done via PayPal). Payment must be made at that time as no payments will be accepted on race day.
- Race day information, parking, airport maps, etc will be provided at a later date via email.
- If you send your registration in and do not receive a confirmation email, you were, unfortunately, not selected to participate this year. However, we would love for you to join us on August 1st as a spectator!
- All participants will be required to sign a waiver of liability prior to participating.
- Due to FAA and city regulations, we will be using a section of the airport taxiway for the race (see pic). NOTE: THIS IS NOT A RACE TRACK so there are cracks, humps, dips, and bumps as one might find on a local road.
- The race length will be 500 feet from start to finish with a 500 foot shut down area. The return road is not paved! It will be a mowed section of field that is approximately 500 feet long. So, if you don’t want dust on your car, you may not want to register! The return road enters back to the main event parking lot where cars will be parked/displayed.
- The track is 30 feet wide and races will be side by side…meaning two, 15 feet wide lanes. Our local county roads are approximately 22 feet wide (11 foot wide lanes) to put things in perspective.
- This is a no prep event and burnouts will not be permitted! So, easy starts are recommended. The track will be swept prior to the race and occasionally throughout the day to remove debris that has accumulated.
- All runs are “fun runs” meaning there will be no classes or eliminations.
Basic Race Vehicle Entry Criteria:
- Vehicle entries limited to 50 cars/trucks
- Entry fee is $40 per vehicle.
- Cars must be 1972 or older
- Cars must be legitimate “streetcars” possessing mufflers and street tires (drag radials permitted). NO “RACE CARS” will be allowed. PERIOD.
- Drivers must be at least 21 years of age and have a valid driver’s license.
- Upon entry, each driver will receive a “tech card” which needs to be completed and taken to the “tech area” for inspection of the vehicle.
Note: Tech inspectors have the full right to refuse participation to an entry due to any safety concerns.
- Seat Belts/Harness in good condition
- Working headlights and taillights
- Safe, DOT-Approved tires
- Secured Battery
- Coolant overflow tank/catch can
- No more than 12 inches of rubber fuel line
- Vehicles with trunk-mounted batteries must have an external shut-off switch
- Drivers must be wearing long pants (no nylon), sleeved shirt, closed-toe shoes, and socks when making your run.
- Helmets required for all drivers and must be DOT approved.
- All engines must be naturally aspirated. No use of “power adders” (superchargers, turbo chargers, nitrous oxide will be permitted). Vehicles with nitrous hookup must have nitrous bottle completed removed from the vehicle prior to race.
- Hoods are required on all vehicles.
- Any vehicles with convertible tops must have a roll bar.
- Convertible tops and windows must be closed during competition.
- Vehicles with removable doors (e.g. jeeps) must have doors securely installed to race.
- Use of transmission brakes or line locks is not permitted.
The safety of everyone is our primary focus. Any unsafe behavior by participants or spectators will be grounds for removal from the event grounds.